I’m sorry__________ (fill in anyone you like), but I can only love you under certain conditions. And, if these aren’t just right then I’m afraid you may bear the brunt of my dark side! Not to worry though, as I usually do my best to hide my dark side because it’s quite embarrassing for me when people see it. In fact, I have learnt many ways to cover up and put on a pretty good show. For the most part, I come across as a decent chap and you won’t even know when it’s my dark side.
The Bible (and even society) requires things of me that I really cannot do if conditions aren’t optimal. Things like, “in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” And, because I know what I ought to be socially, I will at times practice this outwardly when inwardly it’s not true of me at all. so quickly a hypocrite, A whitewashed tomb AND no different FROM the Pharisees.
It is easy for me to acknowledge and even teach that this kind of unconditional love is the key to a blessed life and being the blessing that we are meant to be. However, I cannot do it unless God steps in and takes over.
Are you like me too? I hope so as this will help you to understand me.
Perhaps a simple self-test will let you know whether you ever have this same problem or not.
Here’s a test that I think works best:
1. Simply list in your mind the people you know or see in your church, family, at the gym, college, your workplace, even in the gutter, etc.
Let me help with some prompts.
- The sweet receptionist at…
- The guy who irritates you because…
- How about the colleague who…
- What about those ill-disciplined kids at…?
- Your brother/sister/aunt/uncle/mom/dad/in-laws…
2. Now, close your eyes and imagine their faces one at a time. And as you do this, ask yourself whether you regard him/her/them more significant than yourself.
How did you do? Did you fail too?
Let’s face it, whenever we are not regarding each and everyone with their unique background, personality and gifting, whether in the body of Christ or not, MORE highly than ourselves, then we are in the FLESH and SIN.
You might be thinking, “Shucks, that’s a high standard! Only God can be like that!” Exactly, the unconditional love for one another in the body of Christ and for people in the world can only come from God. It’s the fruit of the Spirit.
So, the optimal conditions for showing you love are when I’m continually being filled with Him and am walking in Him. Pray for me and remind me of Who to go to so that I can love you properly, especially, if you don’t see this in me then.
Rob Morley (Similarities to other posts were unintentional and I hope that they confirm truth for you rather than irritate.)
This post was the 19th link in a chain blog, started by Alan Knox, on the topic ‘One Another’. Please look through the other links and comments to join in the topic. You can even join in the chain – read the rules below to participate.
Links in the ‘One Another’ Chain Blog
1. “Chain Blog: One Another” by Alan
2. “Linking One Another” by Swanny
3. “What Does It Mean to Love One Another? by Chuck
4. “The treasure of “One Another” by Jim
5. “This is how the world shall recognise you…” by Kathleen
6. “Accepting one another in love” by Chris
7a. “One Another-ing: A meta-narrative for the church” (Part 1 of 2) by Greg
7b. “One Another-ing: A meta-narrative for the church” (Part 2 of 2) by Greg
8. “Individualism and ‘one another’” by Pieter
9. “All Alone with One Another” by Jeremy
10. “When it’s OK for Christians to compete” by Joshua
11. “Jesus Christ, the Corner Stone for One Another” by Peter
12. “Be Superficial with One Another” by Jon
13. “The Unmentionable One Anothers” by Alan
14. “Loving more fully and widely” by Chris
15. “the one another weapon” by Dan
16a. “Corporate One-Anothering” (Pt.1 of 2) by David
16b. “Corporate UN-Anothering” (Pt. 2 of 2) by David
17.“The Last Revival” by Tobie
18.“love: a ‘one another’ comic” by Dan
19. “I Can Only Love You If…” by Rob
Chain Blog Rules
If you would like to write the next blog post (link) in this chain, leave a comment on the most recent post stating that you would like to do so. If someone else has already requested to write the next link, then please wait for that blog post and leave a comment there requesting to write the following link.
Feel free to leave comments here and discuss items in this blog post without taking part in the actual “chain.” Your comments and discussion are very important in this chain blog (both this post and the other link posts in the chain).
When you write a link in this chain, please reply in the comments of the previous post to let everyone know that your link is ready. Also, please try to keep an updated list of links in the chain at the bottom of your post, and please include these rules at the bottom of your post.